top of page
Rugeley Trent Valley Railway Station 1885

Rugeley Trent Valley Railway Station

Rugeley Trent Valley railway station is located on the outskirts of the town of Rugeley, close to the River Trent.

The station opened in September 1847 and the line from Cannock was added in 1859. In May 1998 the Chase Line was extended back into Rugeley Trent Valley from Birmingham New Street and Walsall.  As a result of the Beeching Axe, services had ceased in January 1965.

From the mid-1960s until 1998, it was served only by local stopping trains between Stafford and either Rugby or (from 1987) Coventry, however these services were withdrawn in 2004 when work began to upgrade the main line to four tracks, with bus replacements operating until London Midland introduced the present semi-fast service between London Euston and Crewe via Stafford in 2008.

To commemorate the diamond wedding anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, the  station was the location of Queen Elizabeth II's naming of Class 67 locomotive No. 67029 Royal Diamond in October 2007.

Rugeley Trent Valley has three platforms all of which are electrified. The station is unstaffed, but does have a ticket machines for passengers to purchase tickets and/or permits.



Shugborough Estate - National Trust, Trent & Mersey Canal, The Rugeley Rose Theatre, Cannock Chase AONB, Cannock Chase Forest, Ravenhill Park, Elmore Park, Cannock Chase MTB Trails, National Forest Adventure Farm, Samuel Johnson Birthplace Museum & Bookshop, The Wolseley Centre (visitor centre and nature reserve) and the River Trent.

Rugeley Trent Valley Railway Station, Rugeley WS15 2HQ

bottom of page